LTO Ultrium 8 Tapes
LTO 8 tapes have an uncompressed storage capacity of 12TB and a compressed capacity of up to 30TB. LTO 8 tapes more than double the capacity of LTO 7 tape. Additionally, LTO-8 tape drive technology increased the tape head channel count from 16 to 32. This increase will provide a higher data transfer rate, resulting in a reduction of approximately 50% of the time to read or write a full tape.
Features and Benefits of LTO 8 Ultrium Tape
- Higher Storage Capacity - 12TB native and up to 30TB Compressed
- Better Performance - Expect data transfer rates of up to 900 MB/sec compressed and 360 MB/sec uncompressed.
- Future Compatibility - LTO 8 tapes will be able to be read by and written to by LTO 9 tape drives and be able to be read by LTO 10 drives.
- Type M Media Support - LTO 8 Drives will be able to format new, unused LTO 7 tapes as Type M-8 media. This will allow the use of LTO 7 tapes in the LTO 8 Drive and increase the normal capacity of an LTO 7 tape by 50%, up to 22.5TB.
- Backward Compatible - LTO 8 drives can Read and Write to LTO 7 Tapes (note LTO 8 Drives cannot read or write to LTO 6 Tapes
- Most LTO 8 Tapes manufactured by IBM, HPE, Sony, Quantum and FujiFilm.